Healix

Designing a claim management product for an insurance company

UX strategy / UX design / Product design

Background

Healix, a global healthcare and risk management company, wanted to replace an ageing system that allowed it’s employees to view and edit medical insurance claims for its clients' customers.

Challenges & constraints

Healix’s previous system was built on legacy technology and had a rudimentary, confusing user experience.

The product was complicated with little guidance for new users, requiring substantial training in order to become proficient in its use, which was costly to Healix in terms of productivity and resources.

In addition, there was a disproportionate number of helpdesk requests for the product.

Healix wanted help identifying the current product’s usability issues and to create a new product that would increase user productivity whilst reducing support costs.

My role

I led the research and product design phases of the project.

I worked alongside the client's Product Manager and a UX Researcher.

I was responsible for project management, leading workshops, creating processes and research & product design deliverables.

Design process

I used the following techniques to deliver the project:

  1. Problem definition.
  2. Ideation.
  3. Solution design.

Problem definition

I led the process of testing the current system to discover usability issues which would guided our solution.

User testing

We conducted in-person usability testing sessions and discovered three main problems:

  • Users struggled to find individual claims as they had to remember claim numbers in order to access a patient’s details.
  • It was hard to see the progress of an individual’s claim.
  • Information was presented in an unstructured way, which led to users having to flick between sections or have multiple windows of a patient’s records to get the whole picture.

Discovering user needs

With this initial research phase completed, I created a Job Story using the Jobs-to-be Done methodology.

This gave the team the key tasks our new product had to help users achieve.

Core, prioritised list of Jobs-to-be-Done stories

Ideation

With our user jobs defined, we brainstormed potential solutions. I led internal workshops to create potential ideas, which we selected the ideas with the most potential and moved onto the next stage.

We used Crazy Eights and dot voting to generate several concepts that we evaluated before choosing an initial direction to prototype.

Ideas we considered:

  • A simple, but powerful search that allowed users to quickly find results
  • A split screen interface showing multiple aspects of a claim
  • A map-based UI allowing users to see where the most recent claims were
  • A modular dashboard that gave an easy-to-scan overview of a claim, allowing users to expand on details.

We chose this last concept, as we thought it met the majority of our Job Stories, whilst the inherent modularity allowed for the most flexibility for future product development.

Conceptual ideas including a powerful search, a heads-up display of modules, location-based.

Solution design

Wireframe prototype

I created a sketched prototype of potential solutions, before adding layers of detail to make up a wireframe.

Sketched product ideas, which were quickly created and evaluated.
Sample wireframe pages of dashboard and claim detail pages.

Wireframe user testing

We undertook another round of user testing with our wireframe to see if the product met user needs.

This testing revealed:

  • I had included a tabbed navigation on the claim detail page which users found frustrating trying to navigate between to view different elements.
  • Users wanted an easier way to understand the progress of a claim
  • Users wanted to view a patients key details (biographic information, contact details) in an easy to find way.

Wireframe iteration and final user testing

I designed potential solutions for these points, such as making the patient detail one long page with detail panes that hovered over the screen on click so the user remained in the same location. In the end we thought users would want to bookmark pages and distinct pages would be important.

Consolidated, single page for claim detail view

I created a persistent sidebar on the detailed view of the claim which held the patients key biographical details.

We then user-tested this final wireframe with end users and found minor issues.

Detail page sidebar - development sketches
Detail page sidebar - final design

Finally, I designed a progress bar, which at a glance allowed users to view the status of a claim.

Progress bar - development sketches
Progress bar - final design

Final Product design

I designed a Modular component system using the Atomic Design methodology, allowing the client's development team to produce screens, modules and system components.

Modular component system using the Atomic Design methodology

Using this component system I created a high-fidelity prototype ready for implementation by the client's development team.

Final visual of product dashboard
Patient claim detail screen
Patient claim document view
Patient claim document editing view

Results

  • We reduced average time spent on dashboard indicating people were finding claims quicker.
  • We reduced the time taken to find and update claim details.
  • Employee satisfaction surveys revealed the product was well received with ease of use being a key factor.

Next project

Hardens